Ten Sweet Years




Ten years ago today I begged my mom to "just let me look" at the dogs in the SPCA, and while 12 year-old me was enamored by a Labrador puppy, my mom found a scruffy-looking Schnauzer, with hair that looked like wild oats. Unlike the other dogs, she laid in her cage on the bottom rack, quiet, depressed, and  without hope of being adopted. Her hair shed in handfuls due to stress and depression, and she looked up with eyes that cried out for help.

I think it's obvious we didn't leave empty handed.
(And thankfully so.) 
After signing the papers, my mom learned that this sad dog was scheduled to be euthanized due to a need for space and a lack of interest in her. We can all thank Chelie's bleeding heart!

We started to call her Sweetie until we could decide on a name, but we soon realized that this nickname fit her perfectly and she could not go by anything else. She was gentile and playful, licking our legs, and running around the house with excitement whenever we walked through the front door.

In ten years, this silly dog has taught me so much about the kind of person I want to be. I used to hope that if I was a dog, I would be like Sweetie, and I honestly believe she's made me a better human. Having Sweetie has taught me to always be a loyal friend, and to love unconditionally. Every morning, I thank Jesus that Sweetie is alive. She keeps me company when I'm lonely, and she loves me every second of the day. She makes every day brighter and better. 

When I walk through my front door, my heart runs around the house.

I am so grateful for my Sweet Girl. She is cheerful, loving, patient, friendly, sassy, and silly. She is the gift that keeps on giving, and we could all learn from Sweetie. Happy 10th, Sweetums!







Be First to Post Comment !
Post a Comment

EMOTICON
Klik the button below to show emoticons and the its code
Hide Emoticon
Show Emoticon
:D
 
:)
 
:h
 
:a
 
:e
 
:f
 
:p
 
:v
 
:i
 
:j
 
:k
 
:(
 
:c
 
:n
 
:z
 
:g
 
:q
 
:r
 
:s
:t
 
:o
 
:x
 
:w
 
:m
 
:y
 
:b
 
:1
 
:2
 
:3
 
:4
 
:5
:6
 
:7
 
:8
 
:9

Post Signature

Post Signature