National Down Syndrome Day

March 21st is National Down Syndrome Day and I would like to take a minute to share what that means to me.



Meet Halle!

This is my Auntie Halle, and she has an extra chromosome- Down Syndrome. Halle is a spunky 40 year-old with a big heart. She has a strong heart too! When Halle was born, there were holes in her heart and she had to have open-heart surgery. She was the youngest child at the time to receive this treatment and was expected to live to the age of 20. Well, she's double that age and is still kicking! Literally. Halle has been an active participant in the Special Olympics her whole life, partaking in Swimming, Bowling, Bocce Ball and Volleyball, among other sports, and she has won numerous medals. (She likes the gold ones best- and has lots of those too.) Halle also likes to stay active by sweating to the Oldies with her pal, Richard Simmons- she's even met him, and has an autographed picture of him! Halle has a crush on Ed McMahon, and thought that if she could win Star Search, her prize would be to marry him. She is a southern girl, with lots of charm, calling everyone "Hun" and "Sweetie" and asks how you're doing (even she has no idea who you are) and, like a southern belle, she knows how to get what she wants. Halle is a big movie buff and is known for having a movie library consisting of every Disney, Sailor Moon and Bette Midler or Whoopi Goldberg film. 


Halle loves little children and volunteers in the church daycare on Sundays, where she always leaves people with smiles on their faces. She loves to dance and will bust a move whenever she feels she needs to- even if she's the only one. Halle even has a job! (And it's pretty cool!) She works on airplane wires!



Halle has taught me many things.
And most importantly, she has taught me patience.
Patience for those who can't do everything as easily as it comes for the rest of us. Growing up, I often wondered why my aunt couldn't do simple things like read, and I would get frustrated that I had to help her. Now, I feel as if God was presenting me with a huge life lesson. Halle has been a blessing in my life and every person's that she has met. I've realized that her disability is not a limitation, but merely something that makes her work a little harder than the rest of us

As I've met other people with Down Syndrome, I've noticed that there is a special light that shines from their souls. Happiness. People with Down Syndrome are like Happiness Generators, just radiating a warm glow that is contagious!

I am blessed because I have been able to know such special people.

Here is a great video, celebrating National Down Syndrome Day!



<3
Be First to Post Comment !
Post a Comment

EMOTICON
Klik the button below to show emoticons and the its code
Hide Emoticon
Show Emoticon
:D
 
:)
 
:h
 
:a
 
:e
 
:f
 
:p
 
:v
 
:i
 
:j
 
:k
 
:(
 
:c
 
:n
 
:z
 
:g
 
:q
 
:r
 
:s
:t
 
:o
 
:x
 
:w
 
:m
 
:y
 
:b
 
:1
 
:2
 
:3
 
:4
 
:5
:6
 
:7
 
:8
 
:9

Post Signature

Post Signature